Monday, November 2, 2009

Half Term











Well we have had a week off and, as usual, it has flown past. We began half term at Race Point Farm. They have a 2 bedroomed self catering cottage so we stayed 2 nights. We ate with Michelle, John and Tahlia each night so it felt like more of a break for me! We all enjoyed our time away, Jacob and Abi loved the quad bikes - photos of Abi on her own and Jacob on with John. Jacob did drive the smaller one on his own too. Allen enjoyed the 2 long walks we did, one to the coast and the other up Finlay Ridge. I liked not cooking and meeting new people. I've put in a photo from the cottage. They had horses as well as cows and sheep so we've booked to go back in December so we can go horse riding.

On the way back to base we stopped off at Goose Green to look at the sheep shearing. It was not what I'd expected. They all shear in a long row and don't speak, it's so busy. They also cut the sheep quite a lot and just sew them up with needle and thread. It was pretty bloody. I wasn't keen but Jacob and Abi loved it. The shearers get 60p a fleece and it takes about 2mins to shear a sheep. It smelt of sheep dip, the sheep were very well behaved once they were flipped over. Glad I've seen it, I was thinking of doing a pre school trip to see shearing but I think it's a bit too bloody for them.

The last 2 days of the holiday were spent on base as the weather was good and the children were all playing out together. We were out for 2 nights, a leaving thing and a welcome one. Both good nights, one Thai and one Mexican.

Halloween dawned with Abi rushing in to our room shouting happy Halloween we opened the curtains to find snow on the ground and more falling! We'd decorated the house beautifully - thank you Auntie Wendy and to Jim for sending us bits and pieces that were all well used. Abi wanted to go trick and treating at 7am but, as she was off to a 5th Birthday party, I managed to keep her in normal clothes until 5.30 pm when we met up with 15 other children and Mums for a mass trick or treating. It was great fun except for the freezing weather. It snowed, hailed and rained on us during our hour out! Everyone came back to us afterwards for food and drinks, 30 people half of whom were high on sugar! It was brilliant fun though and everyone left happy, tired and full up! So the other photo is of us before going trick and treating.

Sunday was a clear up morning: 30 people made their mark. We then went into Stanley for a swimming party. They had a huge inflatable thing for the children to play on. Abi was fine until she bumped her teeth. She's lost one top front tooth already and we'll be off to the dentist again tomorrow as the bang has put it at a weird angle again. They had a brilliant time and Allen and I managed to go for lunch, lovely organic beef burger. Jacob was on the inflatable for the whole hour, he loved it.

So Mum and Dad will be here tomorrow, I'm very excited. My other bit of news is I'm off to South Georgia (near the South Pole) on the HMS Gloucester on Friday 6th Nov. I'm away for 10 to 12 days. I will miss Jacob's birthday and I wouldn't be doing this unless Mum and Dad were here to help out with Jacob and Abi. I should be taking some amazing photos down there. It will be strange seeing penguins in the snow and icebergs. I'm going to miss the kids and Allen loads, I've only ever done 2 nights away before but it's an opportunity of a lifetime so I'm taking it. Will post once I have some photos of the grandparents!

Rachael.

No comments: